How do I restore my MacBook Air operating system?
How to Reinstall Mac OS Using Recovery Mode
- Restart your Mac. …
- As your computer is restarting, hold down the Command + R keys. …
- When you are in recovery mode, click Reinstall macOS and then click continue.
- When the installer window pops up, click Continue.
How do I wipe and reinstall macOS?
Restart your Mac. Choose Apple menu > Shut Down, press and hold the power button until “Loading startup options” appears, select Options, click Continue, then follow the onscreen instructions. In the Recovery app window, select Reinstall for your macOS release, click Continue, then follow the onscreen instructions.
How do I reinstall OSX without disc?
How to use Internet Recovery to reinstall macOS (Intel Macs)
- Shut down your Mac.
- Hold down Command-Option/Alt-R and press the Power button. …
- Hold down those keys until you a spinning globe and the message “Starting Internet Recovery. …
- The message will be replaced with a progress bar.
How do I reinstall macOS from USB?
Insert the USB drive and power up the machine. Hold the Option key as you do so, then release the Option key when a dark screen appears displaying your bootable volumes. Select the volume for your bootable USB drive, then click the up arrow or press Return. Your Mac will then reboot.
Does reinstalling macOS delete everything?
No. Reinstalling macOS does not have to wipe all other data that you have stored. It is often recommended to reinstall macOS on top of the current installation. It is done from the Recovery partition using the same Command-R reboot.
How do I completely wipe my Mac?
Use Erase All Content and Settings in System Preferences
From the System Preferences menu in the menu bar, choose Erase All Content and Settings. Don’t see this option? Erase Assistant opens and asks you to sign in with your administrator credentials. Enter the password you use to log in to your Mac, then click OK.
What will reinstalling macOS do?
It does exactly what it says it does–reinstalls macOS itself. It only touches operating system files that are there in a default configuration, so any preference files, documents and applications that are either changed or not there in the default installer are simply left alone.
What do I do if I can’t reinstall OSX?
Can’t Reinstall OS X On Your Mac? Try Resetting The PRAM
- First, completely shut down your Mac via the Apple Toolbar.
- Then, hold down Command, Option, P, and R buttons on your keyboard as you restart your Mac. …
- After the second chime, let go of the buttons and let your Mac restart as normal.
How do I reinstall my Mac without recovery?
Restart your Mac while holding down the ‘Command+R’ buttons. Release these buttons as soon as you see the Apple logo. Your Mac should now boot into Recovery Mode. Select ‘Reinstall macOS,’ and then click ‘Continue.
How do I use Mac installer bootable?
Use the bootable installer
Turn on the Mac and continue to hold the power button until you see the startup options window, which shows your bootable volumes. Select the volume containing the bootable installer, then click Continue. When the macOS installer opens, follow the onscreen instructions.
How do you install a new operating system on a Mac?
Here are the steps Apple describes:
- Start up your Mac pressing Shift-Option/Alt-Command-R.
- Once you see the macOS Utilities screen choose the Reinstall macOS option.
- Click Continue and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Select your startup disk and click Install.
- Your Mac will restart once the installation is complete.